WordAlone file document
What the WordAlone Network Is For...
The growing WordAlone movement is driven by the Biblical and confessional teachings of the church. Although it arose in opposition to decisions made by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, it is an essentially positive movement, seeking to preserve and uphold the riches of the Lutheran theological tradition.
The following affirmations are an attempt to state positively those convictions that Word Alone is committed to preserving in the church. It is expected that as individuals and groups consider these affirmations across the ELCA, that many of them will realize that they share these convictions and already are members of WordAlone in spirit and conviction.
- Jesus is the only way of salvation. God's
justification of the godless by faith in Jesus Christ is the heart of the
- The Bible is the final authority over the faith and life
of the Church. The Bible is God's Word to us, spoken in Law and Gospel.
It is a light to, rather than a reflection of, the world.
- The Lutheran Confessions are a faithful interpretation of
Scripture. As faith seeks understanding, the Lutheran Confessions
reliably guide us in the truth.
- The Church's ministry is centered in the priesthood of
all believers. In Baptism, the Holy Spirit makes all Christians priests
to serve others for Jesus' sake.
- Congregations call pastors to serve with them in
ministry. Pastors preach and administer the sacraments to keep good order
in the church, but are not necessary for Christ to be present in Word or
- The local congregation is the heart of Christ's mission.
The Christian Church is the assembly of believers called and gathered by God
around Word and Sacrament. Regional and national structures exist to serve local
- Faithful Christian Worship keeps Christ at the center.
The purpose of worship is to proclaim Christ and his saving work. It is not our
sacrifice to God, but God coming to us to save us and guide us by his Word.
- Church governance should be representative and
accountable. Churchwide assemblies must respect the integrity and
authority of local congregations.
- Christian unity is given by and centered in Jesus Christ.
True ecumenism respects the diversity within the Body of Christ, embracing
worship, work and service with other Christian churches without compromising
- Biblical norms establish the boundaries and proper use of
sexuality. The Bible clearly teaches that marriage is a holy bond between
one man and one woman and is the only proper arena for sexual activity. From
marriages, families are formed which serve as the building blocks of